2011. szeptember 2., péntek

SPORTS: Venus Williams Diagnosed With Sjogren's Syndrome, WITHDRAWS From The U.S. Open

Earlier today, Venus Williams announced that due to a newly diagnosed autoimmune disease, she is withdrawing from the US Open. Deets inside......

 

It was a bittersweet week for tennis icon Venus Williams who won her first match in two months, beating Vesna Dolonts 6-4, 6-3 at the U.S. Open on MOnday, but was forced to pull out of the tournament earlier today.

She issued a statement saying,

''I have been recently diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, an autoimmune disease which is an ongoing medical condition that affects my energy level and causes fatigue and joint pain.''

She continued,

''I enjoyed playing my first match here and wish I could continue but right now I am unable to. 'I am thankful I finally have a diagnosis and am now focused on getting better and returning to the court soon.''

She ended her statement by adding,

"'I'm really disappointed to have to withdraw from this year's US Open.''

Meanwhile, her sister Serena is doing well in her matches, recently beating Bojana Jovanovski of Serbia, 6-1, 6-1, in 56 minutes.

Two years ago, Serena had a profane outburst at the U.S. Open after a linewwoman called her for a foot fault. The NY Times asked her about the incident and she replied,

“I just remember I lost, and that was that. I got really popular. A lot of people were telling me they thought I was super cool, that they’d never seen me so intense. So, yeah, it was awesome.”

Well now that Venus has been sidelined, Serena must carry the torch. Let's just hope no one pisses her off this year.

 

The Randomness:

1.  Retired WNBA star Lisa Leslie Returns to the LA Sparks as a part-owner.  Story

2.  The Help grosses over $100 million at the box office in only three weeks.  Story.

Source: http://theybf.com/2011/08/31/sports-venus-williams-diagnosed-with-sjogrens-syndrome-withdraws-from-the-us-open

Dominique Swain Donna Feldman Drea de Matteo Drew Barrymore

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése